Associated Security News
Safes for Rental Homes
12th September 2023
Moving to a new rental home can be an exciting new start, but it’s also essential to ensure the safety and security of your belongings. One of the best ways to achieve this peace of mind is by investing in the right safes for your new home, especially when there may be instances where you have to share living spaces with other individuals. Having a safe ensures that your personal and confidential items remain private and inaccessible to others, mainly robbers. Whether it’s sensitive documents or personal memorabilia, a safe offers control over who can access your belongings.
In this guide, we will discuss the various types of safes you should consider purchasing when moving to a rental home and offer quick tips to help you make an informed decision.
1. Home Safes for Rental Homes
Home safes are a popular and robust choice for securing valuable items, important documents, and small heirlooms. These safes come in various sizes and are designed to be placed discreetly or in an open space in your rental home. Here are some factors to consider when choosing a home safe:
- Size: Determine the size of the items you plan to store in the safe and choose a size accordingly. You want a safe that can accommodate your valuables without taking up unnecessary space.
- Fireproof and Waterproof: Look for safes that are both fireproof and waterproof. This will protect your belongings from both fire and water damage, which can be particularly important in emergencies.
- Insurance Approved Safes: At Associated Security, our home safes are all insurance-approved by the Association of Insurance Surveyors (AiS). This comes as an added benefit, knowing that the belongings in your safes are insurance-approved, depending on the grade you purchase. Check out our in-depth blog on what insurance-approved safes are and why you might need them.
- Locking Mechanism: Home safes typically come with key locks, combination locks, or electronic locks. Choose the one that best suits your preferences and needs.
- Mounting Options: Some home safes can be mounted to the floor or wall for added security, and some insurance companies require that the safe be mounted to claim the insurance benefits. Check with your landlord before making any permanent modifications to your rental home.
2. Gun Safes for Rental Homes
If you own firearms, a gun safe is a non-negotiable purchase to ensure safety in your rental home. When choosing a gun safe, consider the following factors:
- Size and Capacity: Select a gun safe that can comfortably accommodate your firearms and any ammunition.
- Locking Mechanism: Choose a gun safe with a reliable locking mechanism, such as biometric, electronic, or combination locks.
- Security Ratings: Look for gun safes that meet recognised security standards, such as the UK standard for storing firearms (BS 7758), which our gun safes at Associated Security have.
3. Portable Safes for Rental Homes
Portable safes are ideal for safeguarding valuables when you’re constantly on the move. They are often compact and lightweight, making them suitable for renters. Here’s what to think about when choosing a portable safe:
- Portability: Ensure the safe is easy to carry and transport when needed.
- Locking Mechanism: Portable safes typically have simple locking mechanisms, so choose one that you find easy to use.
- Durability: Invest in a sturdy and durable portable safe to protect your valuables while on the go.
To note: while portable safes offer easy and convenient protection, they should not be a one-stop solution. These types of safes are not as robust or as secure and mostly do not come with any insurance claims as compared to a typical home safe.
If you are on a tight budget but need a robust security solution, consider investing in a reconditioned safe. Click here to learn more about our reconditioned safes.
When moving into a rental home, your safety and security should be top priorities. Choosing the right safe for your needs can provide peace of mind and protect your valuables from theft, fire, and other potential hazards. Whether it’s a home safe, gun safe, or portable safe, make sure to assess your specific requirements and budget to select the best option for your rental home. Always consult your lease agreement and communicate with your landlord and your insurance agent to ensure any necessary installations or modifications are allowed. By taking these steps, you can enjoy your new rental home with confidence in the safety of your belongings.
Explore our curated collection of extensive blog topics covering a wide range of subjects related to safes. From selecting the right safe to maintenance tips and the latest advancements in safe technology, our articles provide valuable insights, expert advice, and practical solutions so that you can stay well-informed and make informed decisions to protect your valuables.
Associated Security Solutions:
With over 75 years of experience, Associated Security Solutions is the UK’s leading provider of safes and security products. The magic happens at our Telford facility, where we design and manufacture exceptional security solutions, and our extensive range covers all your security needs, from Safes & Secure Storage to Access Control Solutions and Strong Rooms. Moreover, our expert workforce offers nationwide security solutions such as safe relocation, removal or disposal services for businesses and homes, ensuring your peace of mind.
For expert assistance and guidance on what safe suits you best, drop us an enquiry below, and a member of our safes expert team will get in touch with you.
Get in Touch
Make an enquiry
PLEASE NOTE: Emails are monitored during normal office hours only. If you require urgent0161 832 2777.attendance of a locksmith or safe engineer please call our help desk on